Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rainy Day in Sunny Paree

dear erik,

i'm going to attempt more pictures.  the wireless here is a little wonky (at least, i'm hoping it's the wireless and not my little netbook.)  megan and i have just come home from the louvre - it's pouring rain and we're sitting on the couch having tea and typing.  all very civilized...

this is my 'room' in the new paris apartment.  it's really lovely, and it's nice to have our own spaces to retire to at the end of the day.

the dining room.  there's also a living room and a little kitchen.  we have a clothes washer - 4 hour cycle, which Almost gets your clothes dry.  :o)

i was thinking of mom and dad in (germany?)  i can't remember for sure where it was, but i remember them talking about hearing the billy joel song 'allentown'.  this morning we had breakfast at cafe hugo down the street and they were playing 'california dreamin'.  trippy.

today we went to the louvre and notre dame.  we didn't have too long at the louvre, because we spent a long time just walking around the streets looking at paris, which is beautiful.  unfortunately we seem to have brought the british weather with us. 

as for the louvre, we plan to go back, but it's clearly the kind of place where you could go every day for a month and barely make a dent.  seriously - the place is frickin' EPIC. 

the wireless isn't letting me upload any more pictures at the moment.  hopefully i'll be able to load some tomorrow.  it was wonderful to see notre dame - i can't figure out how to turn off the flash on my camera (sad, but true) so i couldn't take any pictures, but megan took some for both of us.  it's really exquisitely beautiful.

i always get weirdly emotional in cathedrals/churches.  i'm sure that recently it's partly missing mom, but i've always been that way.  i can't figure out if it's some kind of spiritual thing, like the idea that there's a larger purpose to everything, that there's a reason for everything, that Someone has a Plan?  or maybe it's because the people who created the building had that belief, and that emotion lingers in the place itself? 

i think as far as the great cathedrals, i also find it so moving that people used to (maybe still) have the belief that they were creating something beautiful to last forever that would change people's lives by representing the glory of the eternal.  i dunno.  at any rate, it was pretty emotional being in there.  truly beautiful.

it's supposed to rain again tomorrow, but it's a good excuse to spend lots of time in museums.  i think tomorrow we're going to do the musee d'orsay, because on thursdays they're open at night.  we're taking babs' reccomendation (thank you babs!) and having a meal there - the restaurant looks amazing!  (we like to do a lot of our planning around where and when we're going to eat.  for real - it's a big thing.)

all right.  the screen has taken to flashing and doing weird jaggedy things.  time to sign off. 

sending love - mer

10 comments:

  1. Ah Paris... WE went by ferry back in the day... No such modern wonders as a super-fast and quite, all be it for the children, train!! I do love trains and one of my "bucket- list" items, sorry for the overused catch phrase, is to take a cross country trip by train and now a trip under the channel...

    What fun you must be having...

    I told you my fondest memory of Paris in one of my previous posts, so I feel compelled to tell you my worst... We had eaten hotdogs somewhere in Gay Paris and I got sick as a dog in a parking garage so bad that I wouldn't eat Hotdogs for over a decade... LOL

    I, like Eric, enjoy the blog as well, except the lack of spell check, because I get to talk to my cousins!!! (And of course my favorite Uncle and God father)

    Much love to all... Chat soon.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know - that spell check thing is a killer...

      Delete
  2. Oh and I forgot to mention that you are correct it was the 2 princes that were killed and hidden under the stairs that I was reffering to!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finally catching up. I can't believe I didn't even get a chance to send you off with a "bon voyage" and now you're already thru London and knee deep in Paris!

    I love the updates and the pics (when your internet is being cooperative :) )

    Wish I could be joining you but most definitely soaking up the vicarious living.

    It finally cooled off here today - it's been in the high 90s basically since you left. Ridiculous. And I'm starting to settle into my new (and still undefined) role.

    Miss you and so, so happy for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank god it's finally cooling off, and i'm so glad you're starting to feel at home in the new job! hope it goes brilliantly - can't wait to hear about it when i get back!

      Delete
  4. Mer,

    I just caught up on the blog and I am loving it!! Thanks for sharing! I remember throwing paper airplanes off of the Eiffel Tower just as Greg mentioned! We must have watched them for 5 minutes before they flew out of sight!! It was pretty awesome! I believe they have screens up now so you can't throw things off like we did back in the day. Pity, but I guess it is possible people were throwing things other than paper airplanes off as well.

    One of my memories of Paris, that you can't top, is having been their for my birthday! I remember Greg and I got the Lone Ranger and Tonto action figures w/horses (remember that Greg?)! Awesome!! A little too young to remember the important stuff but old enough to remember that I want to go back!

    I believe you had mentioned earlier in your blog about the sense of history or something to that affect and I couldn't agree more. It's just incredible and everywhere you look something amazing happened at some point in time!! Maybe in a thousand years or so people will get that sense in the US? Unlikely, what with the built-in-obsolescense of our society and all.

    I really want to go back to England and just spend some time there visiting Scotland and Ireland. We were lucky we got to experience it, although we may not have truly appreciated it at the time. Every American should spend some time out of country in my humble opinion.

    Enjoy, I am sure your Mom is loving the adventure!!

    Love,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do remember the action figures but I did not remember getting them in Paris... Cool memories for sure....

      Delete
    2. so glad you're following along! i love the image of you and greg up on the eiffel tower just throwing stuff. :o)

      megan and i were talking at dinner about how glad we are that our parents traveled with us when we were kids. i think it makes a big difference when you get older because it seems less intimidating.

      it makes me sad how many people in the states never leave the country. i totally get it - time and money are too scarce for a lot of people, but i also feel like if you've never travelled it can seem so scary to go somewhere where you don't speak the language and don't know the lay of the land. i feel grateful that having travelled as a kid, it made me realize that you can navigate other places, and that people will help you! sign language goes a long way...

      hope life is good with you! sending love, m

      Delete
  5. Good thing you have your collapsible umbrellas. Are there umbrellas that don't collapse? How do they work? Do you have to design your house around them so there's space they can always be open?

    Now Steve, too. You should go pro with blogging thing.

    Have fun. Just a thought, but you might want to reach out to some French people and suggest they refrain from invading Russia during winter again for another couple hundred years. I'm sure they would find that helpful and maybe save everyone a lot of hard feelings down the road. It's all about building bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's me. bridge-builder.

    if i know the french (and i've been here almost three days, so i think i can confidently say "oui!") they would LOVE a little friendly political advice from an american. thanks for the thought.

    ReplyDelete